Clay's Reviews > Daddy-Long-Legs

Daddy-Long-Legs by Jean Webster

Feb 20, 11

bookshelves: middle-school-or-young-adult, all-time-favorites

This book is nearly a hundred years old!

Republished by Looking Glass Library (Random) this epistolary novel is still true, funny, delightful, hopeful and VERY romantic.

18YO orphan Jerusha Abbott is sent to college by anonymous trustee "John Smith" who she's only see at night from behind and calls "Daddy-Long-Legs," (he's tall) and who she assumes is old and probably bald.

She is to write him regularly in payment for her education and write she does,long and heartfelt and hilarious letters.

Okay, it's a bit old-fashioned, but I'm still enjoying the good mood it put me in late last night when I finished it all in one gulp.

Yo, Hollywood, someone ought to update this and make it into a great movie. (The Shirley Temple and, sorry to say, Fred Astaire-Leslie Caron oldies are not so good.) For now, read the book!

From the re-publishers web site:

JEAN WEBSTER (1876-1916) was a grandniece of Mark Twain and a champion of women's rights and social reform. Daddy-Long-Legs (1912) brought her critical acclaim and financial success and was adapted into a play in 1914. She died giving birth to a daughter at the age of 39.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Daddy-Long-Legs.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

DaNae My mom gave me a copy for my shelf when I was little, but I never got around to reading it. I did assume spiders were involved.

I think I need to own this once again. A friend of mine cites it as one of her favorites, and of course I've seen the movie.

message 2: by Clay (new) - added it

Clay Forget the movies (there were two, according to my movie book), one with the same title (Astaire-Caron) where Astaire plays DLL as a playboy which he isn't in the book (he's a lovely, kind, rich, do-gooder socialist), and one called "Curly Top" with Shirley Temple ("An-i-mal Crack-ers in my Sooop!") which I have a vague treaclely, gag-me-with-a-spoon memory of, though I could be wrong, but movie critic Maltin didn't much like either movie either.

In the book I believe there's one spider mentioned, briefly, (she sees an actual DDL and it reminds her of him, not that she needs reminding), but you could always look away.

After I posted, I saw you can read it for free on Project Guttenberg, but there's the reading on the computer problem again.

DaNae I'm going to hold out for that spiffy new purple cover.