Audiaa's Reviews > The People of Sparks

Feb 19, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: 2011, dystopia, young-adult
Read in February, 2011

This book started with the people of Ember already outside of Ember and with knowledge of the world and the other people living there. The story that I was excited to read about after reading City of Ember would have been about how the people of Ember reacted to the note from outside, the conflicts that ensued and how they eventually got out. All of that was skipped over and told with a very short flash back. The mayor and the bad people fell into the river and were never seen again, so we don't have to deal with them anymore. The chaos of the people once they found out about the nature of Ember, their change of mindset after hearing the news, and the difficulties and losses the people had would have all made a great story, and I was disappointed from the beginning to miss it.

The story that was actually told wasn't that interesting. The people of Ember came across the people of Sparks. The Sparks people tried to balance being compassionate with keeping the best interests of their people in mind. Lina went on a side mission that turned out to be equally uninteresting; however, we did learn a little more about the world before the disaster and how vast and destructive their wars were. Not much happened in the story except for the potential for things to get better; however, I am invested in the characters and situation enough to want to know what happens to them next.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The People of Sparks.