Joy's Reviews > To Beguile a Beast

2711937
Feb 22, 11

bookshelves: historical-romance, ebooks
Read from February 19 to 20, 2011

I've been debating whether I'd give this a 4 or 5 but after much consideration, it deserved the highest rating!

Out of the four books I read, this one really tugged at my heartstrings in a lot of ways, and it's not because of Alistair's past haha! First up, I'd like to mention the times I cried: 1) when Alistair carried Lady Grey to the stairs, 2) when Lady Grey died 3) when Jamie and Abigail buried Lady Grey...and I can't name others anymore because it'll drag.

This is really different from the other historical romance novels I've read because of the characters. True, there's the beauty and the beast angle, Alistair is a lonely man and he resigned himself to living a solitary life after the war because it greatly altered his looks, and to Helen this is a form of cowardice - hiding behind everyone, but she soon realized that he chose to live and not die is bravery, after exchanging words with his elder sister, Sophia.

I really admire Helen's fortitude, she didn't give up on Alistair. I knew she saw him as someone to tame, to bring to life for that matter, and she really tried to make things easier for her children. I loved how Elizabeth Hoyt wrote about a girl's feelings towards her mother. Abigail is not the usual girl, she's like an adult and it brought tears to my eyes when she caught the fish.

The character developments were convincing, nothing was rushed, and because the story and plot were masterfully written, I felt Helen's grief about being parted from her children. I felt the characters' emotions - their anxieties, joys, and I felt I was with them. The love scenes were intense and I liked them a lot. Every action conveyed a lot of meaning, from the look of the characters' eyes, to their touch, and the silent communication.

I also loved the unpredictability of the events. There's drama, humor, adventure, a little science, and a whole lot of good read. I also liked the mini story of "The Truth Teller".
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read To Beguile a Beast.