Everybookhasasoul's Reviews > Birdman

Birdman by Mo Hayder

Mar 05, 11

bookshelves: read-in-2011, for-review
Read from February 19 to March 03, 2011

Hayder has created a fast paced thriller that had me as a reader hooked from the very first sentence.

This thriller introduces police detective Jack Caffery who is on the hunt for a killer that all the tabloids are nicknamed 'The Millennium Ripper.' Caffery is an interesting character that keeps the reader guessing who he really is.

The 'Millennium Ripper' has murdered five prostitutes; all the victims have been brutally mutilated and murdered in a way that would suggest that the killer has a medical background. The thing the press don't know is that all the victims’ hearts have been replaced by a live bird that is placed into their chest cavity.

Caffery himself is a tortured man, that is haunted by the murder of his younger brother and annoyed that he cannot bring the man he knows is responsible to justice.

This novel reminded me of the 'Hannibal series'. It is full of suspense and creepy scenes, with graphic description throughout. Birdman is the type of novel that can easily be read in one sitting. It is a fast pace thriller that just keeps giving. I loved how the murder has chapters to him that really help the reader to understand his character and his background.

A major disappointment for me what that Caffery did two things towards the end of the novel that instantly put me off him as a character. I didn't see the ending coming, in fact I thought the novel was going to go in a completely different direction. Though the ending didn't disappoint and had me hooked until the very last sentence.

Overall 'Birdman' is a high paced crime thriller that will have you hooked from the very first sentence.

A copy of this book was received from transworld publishers for free and all thoughts are my own through reading this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Birdman.

02/19/2011 page 121