Kaity's Reviews > The Vampire Dimitri

The Vampire Dimitri by Colleen Gleason

203807
May 27, 11

bookshelves: arc, historical-romance, netgalley, paranormal-romance, vampires
Read from May 24 to 27, 2011

Review originally posted on Bitten Books and given 4 stars.

To her great displeasure Maia Woodmore finds herself and her sister under the guardianship of Dimitri, Earl of Corvindale. He is rude, cold and worst of all, one of the only people who knows about the incident that could destroy her upcoming marriage with scandal. While Maia is battling Corvindale at every turn, she's also about to find out that she and her sister are in grave danger from ruthless vampires determined to kidnap them to entrap her brother. Dimitri couldn't be more annoyed. Up until the arrival of the Woodmore sister, he had spent his days quietly researching ways to break his covenant with Lucifer. Since Maia's arrival he's not only had to fight off other vampires to keep the Woodmores safe, but he's also had his sanctuary disrupted with open curtains during daytime and rearrangements of his library. Dimitri has his own painful secrets and no matter how much Maia pries or helps out, they will remain buried.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that The Vampire Dimitri starts at about the same place in time that The Vampire Voss did. I was expecting The Vampire Dimitri to pick up where the other left off. I enjoyed reliving a few scenes from the previous book in new POVs and seeing some of what was left out of the book. However, these scenes left more like outtakes since they often had gaps in time between them and much was left out that was included in the first book. I think these scenes won't make nearly as much sense if you haven't read the first book. Once the book gets caught up to the end of The Vampire Voss, the book runs much more smoothly.

I really struggled with the first half of this book. I hated Maia in the first book and my hatred transferred over to this one. Every time she opened her mouth I wanted to stuff a sock in it. About midway through, I began going back and forth practically every page on whether I found her amusing/likeable or whether she still made me want to toss her off a bridge. If you make it this far, there is a huge beacon of light at the end of the tunnel. Maia gets unbelievably better. In fact, by the end of the book I adored her and found her mouth endearing.

I loved Dimitri. It didn't matter how brooding or emotionless he got, I always enjoyed his character. Many of this thoughts and actions made living with Maia in the first half of the book bearable. He was of much the same opinion on the surface as me, “Maia should not be seen or heard.” There were several times when I had to laugh at how Dimitri dealt with her.

I thought the ending to this book was even better than the first's and I loved the ending in the first book. I liked that they were similar but unique enough to keep things interesting. I can't wait to see what The Vampire Narcise brings!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Vampire Dimitri.

05/27/2011 page 5
1.0% "Who in Lucifer's bloody hell did Miss Maia Woodmore think she was, giving order to an earl? Ohhh, off to a great start. I love where this is going."
05/27/2011 page 25
7.0% "He was in the mood for a good brawl. Might as well enjoy as much of the night as he could, for tomorrow, his home would be invaded. Says a lot about how annoying Maia is, doesn't it? I'm warming up to her a little bit. But I hated her so much in the previous book that it's fairly difficult."
05/27/2011 page 50
13.0% "“You might be much too tall, sir knave, and a bit overbearing-” she heard herself commenting, the words simply pouring from her “-but, despite what nonsense comes from it, you have been blessed with a well-formed mouth.” And suddenly Maia isn't so bad...when she's drunk. :)"
05/27/2011 page 75
20.0% "“Unwrap me!” Maia said. Torn between disbelief that the implacable earl could actually be prone-not to mention that he'd allowed himself to be kicked-and the terror of what could be happening to Angelica, she found herself flopping about like a netted fish. Were there really vampirs here? Ok, never mind. I'm all 'hurrah!' for Maia being wrapped up like a pig in a blanket and being unable to talk/interfere."
05/27/2011 page 100
27.0% "Dimitri spread his hands and fingers in a blasé motion. “I don't quite recall the details,” he said. “Other than the fact that you were dressed in boy breeches with your hair tucked up under a cap, and were attempting to enter a very disreputable area of Haymarket.” And so we begin to understand why Maia is an uptight, bossy hag."
05/27/2011 page 150
40.0% "“I shall determine which invitations we will accept, my lord, and then advise your valet so that he can see you are properly dressed for the occasions.” And she would make certain that she would pick the most crowded, flamboyant events to attend. Just because she could. Ugh! Why can't I make up my mind about Maia?! In this scene, she's freakin' awesome but most of the time I want to toss her off a bridge."
05/27/2011 page 200
53.0% "That softening inside him started to twist and unfurl more quickly, like a sail gaining wind, and he couldn't help but notice how lovely she was in her dishevelment...particularly now that her mouth wasn't moving in demands and recriminations. It would seem that Dimitri and I are on the same page. I'm amazed at how much I forgot in the short span between reading this book and the first."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gen50 (new)

Gen50 you make interesting reviews. glad to see you reading.
am currently on a small hiatus reading new stuff
just re-reading