Sharon's Reviews > Down the Rabbit Hole

Down the Rabbit Hole by Peter Abrahams

Feb 18, 11

bookshelves: juvenile-fiction, mystery
Read in February, 2011

A dark, fascinating small-town mystery featuring a spunky amateur sleuth, 13-year-old Ingrid Levin-Hill, who is starring in a local production of Alice in Wonderland and, in the classic set-up of seeing something she shouldn't have, accidentally entangles herself in a local murder mystery. Like Alice in the story, Ingrid starts following the trail as it leads to more and more secrets in her sleepy town, some of them buried for years.

I enjoyed this a lot and it will be a great, suspenseful mystery with many interesting plot twists to recommend to older readers. The novel really got inside Ingrid's head and it's equally a coming-of-age story in some ways, discussing some tentative steps toward a first crush, her family relationship, her ambitions, and her relationship to Echo Falls through local sports and theater. However, the ending and many of the developments were predictable, and I think I kept wanting it to be much more like Twin Peaks or Veronica Mars, which stand in a class of their own as small-town mysteries involving teens. It didn't really have that extra pizzazz, and some of the plot points, like Ingrid's admiration and imitation of Sherlock Holmes, didn't really gel for me. Still, this was a lot of fun to read and hard to put down, and definitely stands on its own merits.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Down the Rabbit Hole.