Anthony's Reviews > Nightmares And Dreamscapes

Nightmares And Dreamscapes by Stephen King

Feb 18, 11

bookshelves: halloween-reads, short-story-collections
Read in December, 2009 — I own a copy

As with any short story collection, whether single-author or multiple, there were some hits and some misses for me in this, Stephen King's third short story collection. I listened to all of these on cd during my various trips around the country throughout the summer, with the last batch keeping me company on my one business trip in November. With 24 stories (one hidden in the end-notes) and an introduction, there's a lot to read through (or listen through) and there is bound to be something for everyone here. For this review, I'll just say that the hits outweigh the misses even in such a weighty tome. It's no secret that I'm a fan of King's crime stories, so "Dolan's Cadillac," "The Fifth Quarter," "Umley's Last Case" and "The Doctor's Last Case" rank high on my list; as do the Lovecraftian "Crouch End," and the vampire tale "The Night Flier." "Sorry, Right Number, " "Popsy" and "My Pretty Pony" are probably the low-points of the book for me. I also really enjoyed "The House on Maple Street," which I thought was going to be a Narnia riff until it wasn't; and King's non-fiction piece about Little League Baseball, "Head Down."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nightmares And Dreamscapes.