MB Taylor's Reviews > The Passion

The Passion by Jeanette Winterson

Feb 18, 2011

liked it
Read in August, 2010

Earlier this week I finished reading The Passion (1987) by Jeanette Winterson. Many years ago I read one of Winterson’s later works Written on the Body and liked it so much I bought all of her other works I could find, then (as happens all too frequently) forgot about her. I’d see the books on my shelf and think about reading one, but then something else would catch eye.

Not too long ago Mary checked out 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die. We were looking through it to see how 'literate' we were (or at least I was) and noticed four of Winterson’s books made the list. So when I noticed her books on the shelf this time, I picked one up.

The Passion is a good read and I enjoyed it immensely. A fair amount of the book takes place in Venice in the early 1800’s. Between this and Tanith Lee’s “Secret Books of Venus” quartet about Venice I’m ready to go, so long as I can go to the Venice in the stories.
I’m not sure I would have included The Passion in 1000 Books to Read before You Die, but I’m glad they did; otherwise it’d probably still be sitting on my shelf unread.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Passion.