All Things Urban Fantasy's Reviews > Stolen Nights

Jan 20, 13

bookshelves: 2013-january-hotp, reviewed-by-abigail, earc
Read in January, 2013

Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

STOLEN NIGHTS, the second book in the Vampire Queen series, was originally supposed to be published over a year ago. But there were delays. And more delays. INFINITE DAYS was a lovely, poignant story about “a vampire’s taste of humanity, her myriad of firsts as a human, the dangers from her past, and the love that brought her to life.” Imagine my surprise when STOLEN NIGHTS shucks all of that intimate beauty for a rather lackluster story about thwarting a power hungry vampire.

*Sigh*. I was worried that all the delays might signify trouble with the story, and they did. So much of the heartache and raw emotion from the debut is just gone in this sequel. It’s as if the author wrote herself into a corner and instead of finding a way out, basically started all over. There is all this brand new mythology involving supernatural governing bodies known as Aeris, and seemingly arbitrary rules that are designed to create an obstacle between Lenah and Rhode. The problem was, the romance never felt important enough to care whether there were obstacles or not. Not with Rhode and certainly not with Justin who is reduced to a whinny shell of his former character.

The main plot is perhaps the most disappointing part of STOLEN NIGHTS. It’s just not compelling at all. A vampire that Lenah created more than a century ago shows up wanting the ritual that made Lenah a human. She goes around slaughtering people all over campus while Lenah and friends try and stop her. It’s just so…generic. I felt none of the empathy for the characters this time, so their plight lacked any real impact. And Lenah’s waffling between Rhode and Justin wasn’t nearly compelling enough to make up for the main story. The ending seems pretty final, but it is my understanding that there will be a third book in the Vampire Queen series. I’m so disillusioned by this sequel that I don’t think I’ll be waiting around for any more of Lenah’s story.

Sexual Content:
Kissing. References to sex
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stolen Nights.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Reeses (new) - added it

Reeses hope you like it, I'm still dying over here waiting haha

All Things Urban Fantasy Reeses wrote: "hope you like it, I'm still dying over here waiting haha"

It's on netgalley :)

message 3: by Reeses (new) - added it

Reeses very sad to hear you didn't like it.

All Things Urban Fantasy Reeses wrote: "very sad to hear you didn't like it."

Me too. The first book was a 5/5 rating for me...

message 5: by Reeses (new) - added it

Reeses Same here. I hate how it took so long for it to be released. Felt like forever and ever! Kinda weary about reading it now.

All Things Urban Fantasy Reeses wrote: "Same here. I hate how it took so long for it to be released. Felt like forever and ever! Kinda weary about reading it now."

It doesn't have the same feel as the first book. At all.

message 7: by Reeses (new) - added it

Reeses Darn it! Is it still in paperback?

All Things Urban Fantasy Reeses wrote: "Darn it! Is it still in paperback?"

yeah.

message 9: by Reeses (new) - added it

Reeses Hm...oh well. I'll always have Infinite Days even if Stolen Nights sucks pirate butt!