chanceofbooks's Reviews > The Perils of Pleasure

The Perils of Pleasure by Julie Anne Long

Mar 18, 11

bookshelves: 2011-read

I got this from the library as I really want to read Long's latest release, but wanted some background on the series first. This is a great as an introduction to the Redmond/Everslea family tree, the ongoing feud, and the interesting secondary characters. Love the unusual setting and love Long's voice. The actual romance though? I just couldn't connect with Madeline. At all. Which is sad, really, because I love a spunky heroine, and Madeline is like a Victorian Macgyver, which is so awesome, and which adds an unexpected steam punk flavor. But Madeline seemed rather emotionless, and her tendency to refer to Colin by his full name over and over again was really distracting. Their banter was very amusing though and well-written. Overall a good introduction to a series that keeps earning lots of raves. I'm intending to try a few more in the series, and certainly, What I did for A Duke, as that one looks fabulous.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Perils of Pleasure.