Nicole's Reviews > A Streetcar Named Desire

A Streetcar Named Desire by Tennessee Williams

Feb 18, 11

Read on February 18, 2011

We were handed this play yesterday in my English class and told to read scene 1 for Tuesday. I thought okay, no problem. I decided to get the reading done before I left for the long weekend and started it on my spare period with the intention of only reading the assigned section. Next thing I know, I'm finished the play.
I fell in love with the character of Blanche and her initial interactions and banter with Stanley. Right from the beginning you can see that she is clearly fragile and has been touched profoundly by several situations that made her lose sight of who she was. She cares deeply for her sister, Stella, and cannot believe the way she lets Stanley treat her. Stella is also protective of her sister and refuses to believe Stanley when he tells her the truth of why Blanche has left Laurel until he presents her with the fact that he confirmed the story of several people. I became extremely disenchanted with Stanley while Stella was in hospital and little he did after that could help regain my regard for him.
As a French student, I greatly enjoyed the little bits of French thrown in to enhance the humor of the situation. Here's Blanche, claiming to be almost as white as her name to Mitch, asking him if he would sleep with her tonight!
The final scene of the play was quite heartbreaking to me. Blanche was so caught up in her illusions and to watch her see them shatter before her was brutal. The men were so rude about her assisted departure, in contrast with Stella and to a lesser extent Eunice, who were sad to see her go even though they knew she needed help.
The play was a refreshing read after years of being exposed to other plays that did not catch my attention quite as well. Part of it was my ability to visualize the setting, culture and relaxed attitudes of the people (the motto of NOLA is of course, "laissez les bonnes temps rouler!") having visited New Orleans myself.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Streetcar Named Desire.