Ezmirelda's Reviews > Goddess Interrupted

Jan 28, 12

bookshelves: arc, romance, mythology, made-me-mad, 4-stars
Read in January, 2012

Read full review on my blog P A R A F A N T A S Y

I'm not going to lie--for the majority of the time I was reading this book I was angry. Really angry. Not angry as in I didn't like it, but angry as in "How could [insert character] do that to [insert character]?" But if a book managed to make me feel so angry that I wanted to rip a character's head off then that's because I was involved in it enough to do so. Which means despite all the things that happened in Goddess Intterrupted and how predictable some of the plot was, I was really engaged in this book.

Why was I so angry? Henry is infuriating in this book.

Everything he does is like a slap in the face to poor Kate--and yet somehow she manages to put up with it. She tries her best to make it work and he keeps pushing her away. Kate's mother basically uses her for most of the book. The only reason she gave birth to her only to become Persephone's replacement, and to keep Henry alive. And whenever Kate thinks about confronting her mother about it she thinks of her mom dying from cancer. The thing is her mother CAN'T die from cancer and she never could because she was immortal, so I didn’t understand why Kate kept bringing it up all the time. Things get even worse once Persephone comes into the picture, Henry's first love who he spent eons mourning over because she dumped him and ran off with Adonis.

Persephone is described as selfish and mean. I expected that since I read the summary, but I kept wishing that there was at least one redeeming quality about her so that I could understand why Henry (and another character I can't say without giving away a spoiler) loved her so much. But there wasn't. Which leads me to the conclusion that a) Henry is a lot more pitiful than I already thought he was for his unrequited love for someone who abandoned him and b) he should appreciate Kate all the more. Unfortunately that does not happen that way until the very end of the book; and after everything he did and said to Kate I still find it kind of hard to forgive him. He has a reason for the way he treated her, but I felt like it could've been foreshadowed more in the earlier parts of the book.

When Kate wasn't worrying constantly whether Henry loved her or not (which takes up whole chapters of the book), I thought her character was strong and engaging to read about. I loved her courage in this book. And the ending, oh the ending. It's one of the biggest cliffhangers I've read so far this year! It was shocking and completely unexpected. With that said, I will be patiently waiting for book 3! :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Goddess Interrupted.

01/27/2012 page 52
17.0% "I want to stab Henry in the face right now. Seriously? -_-"
01/27/2012 page 104
34.0% "...I think I want to stab Kate now too. -_- The world might possibly end and all she's thinking about is her love life. That's okay, but 10 pages of "I want Henry, Persophene go die!" is a bit too much."
01/27/2012 page 143
47.0% "Lol, Kate compares Persophene to a bad smell that won't go away. *chuckles*"
01/27/2012 page 150
49.0% "The last 15 pages summed up: Kate: "He loves me, he loves me not, he loves me, he loves me not, he loves me, he loves me not.........what do you mean he doesn't love me?" *insert tears here*"
01/28/2012 page 190
63.0% "Wow Henry. Just wow. Are you seriously that cold hearted and cruel? I'm so sick of him. *glares*"
01/28/2012 page 193
63.0% "OMG! I now officially hate Henry. Kate almost dies like 50 times and he's practically pushing her into the grave. Grr...."
01/28/2012 page 200
66.0% "It just keeps getting worse and worse. No matter how the author puts it Kate's mom treats her horribly and Kate always puts up with it. She's even so ashamed that she never told Persophene she had a sister. I feel so bad for Kate :("
01/28/2012 page 200
66.0% "Kate sacrifices her life to save Henry and gets tortured and for him and everything and then he completely ignores her and kisses another girl in front of her? Wtf? I don't care what happens during the rest of the book Henry clearly does not love Kate at all. -_-"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Courtney (new) - added it

Courtney Wyant Oh goodness. Please hurry with the review. I really want to know your thoughts about it.

Ezmirelda Courtney wrote: "Oh goodness. Please hurry with the review. I really want to know your thoughts about it."

Lol, my review is posted now. :)