Flannery's Reviews > The Edge

The  Edge by Rudy Josephs

I am dying to read a YA series set at a school in space. DYING. I know, I know, Ender's Game satisfies that wish...only it doesn't. I want it to be high school students and I want it to be like Stargate/Star Trek/Firefly meets every YA high school book ever made. Anyway, this book seems to be as close as I can get. *sigh* But it was rather fun!

I've never watched any Star Trek--gasp--but I did like the most recent movie and this book is based in the movie version of Starfleet. This turned out to be both a positive and a negative for me. I was happy that a lot of my favorite characters were there and it brought up several scenes from the movie that made me feel like I understood everyone's motivations for going to Starfleet. On the other hand, I felt that the references were too blatant and it made me feel like this book was published more to ride the wave of popularity from the movie than to publish a genuinely well-written book.

This book is described as following young Jim Kirk during his first few months at Starfleet. While it does do this, I'd say this book is actually about solving a mystery and romantic relationships between cadets. There was a lot of flirting going on and the relationship that I was most interested in was Spock and Uhura, for obvious reasons. I am a little disappointed there were no classroom scenes--it just felt a little hurried overall and, while I wanted to know more about each character, the narrative bounces back and forth between telling us about Kirk, Spock, Uhura, and Bones, and it got a little frustrating.

I'd recommend this one to people who might be dying for a space school story or people who really enjoyed the latest Star Trek movie.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Edge.

03/02/2011 page 74
30.0% "I would totally do Jim Kirk if I was at Starfleet."
03/03/2011 page 155
62.0% "I'm not really enjoying the shifting narrators--three different people? But it's still fun:-)"

Comments (showing 1-17)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 17: by Aileen (new)

Aileen of course.

message 16: by Linda (new)

Linda Due to financial circumstances, I do too. However, I also find it better in many ways because I have a date I HAVE to finish the book...

message 15: by Janine (new)

Janine Southard @Linda - I, too, find due dates immensely helpful.

message 14: by Janine (new)

Janine Southard Tell you what, you want to do a space opera high school book, I am there.

I don't have the time to make it my full-time project right now, but I will write it for you in stages so long as we spend lots of time discussing the finer points of plot.

I'll even be nice and not make it about space marines. I'm thinking, alien lit students?

Flannery Ooh, fun! And talk about restraint on your part--I know how much you love space marines:-)

I wouldn't even mind if it were some sort of badass military training school just as long as the students were older than in Ender's Game and the main plot did not revolve around strategics.

message 12: by Vinaya (new)

Vinaya How can you not have watched any ST? How? How? Sure, the movie was nice and all, but William Shatner!!!

message 11: by Megan (last edited Mar 05, 2011 06:17AM) (new)

Megan True Vinaya ~ Star Trek is great and all, but Shatner is who made the show :)

Flannery It's definitely on my list of television to catch up on. Do you two have a favorite series in the franchise?

message 9: by Janine (new)

Janine Southard My fave ST series is The Original Series, but most people prefer The Next Generation. (Skip all the rest.)

message 8: by Megan (last edited Mar 05, 2011 11:34PM) (new)

Megan I'm with Janine ~ personally, the original is the best. But most people do talk about The Next Generation being fantastic. The original has some good story lines along with 1960's cheese, and I can't even begin to express how much I love William Shatner, especially as Captain Kirk. You gotta love a man who can solve all problems with either his fists or his lips! lol He beat the bad guys & made out with all the ladies ~ he's a fantastic character who would never survive in this day and age, but because of the time, it is so much easier to excuse admire him.

message 7: by Miriam (new)

Miriam I am dying to read a YA series set at a school in space

There's a very short book by Connie Willis that kinda fits the bill, and also some very old stand-alone by Marion Zimmer Bradley, from before the "YA" category existed.

Flannery Will you send me the recs?

message 5: by Miriam (last edited Mar 29, 2011 01:09PM) (new)

Miriam The Connie Wllis novella is D.A..
I'm afraid I don't remember the name of the MZB (although I'm almost sure it was her) one, but it was about a special school where the best and brightest studied from ages 5 to 17, then a crew of 6 or so was chosen and sent off to search for habitable planets. Naturally there was all sorts of teen drama with romance and jealousy.

Flannery I'll figure the first one out. Thanks so much, Miriam!

message 3: by Miriam (new)

Miriam Let me know of you do, please, I've been wanting to reread it but didn't find one that sounded right under her name. Maybe she later denied it, when she was a famous feminist and didn't want to own up to the anti-gravity sex scene.

message 1: by Miriam (new)

Miriam That certainly looks plausible. I remember the characters being named Peak, Moira, Ching (PC much?) and Teague.