Amy's Reviews > Walter the Farting Dog: Trouble At the Yard Sale

Walter the Farting Dog by William Kotzwinkle

After seeing the cover of this book I got really excited because I thought it would be so awkward and funny. However, I really did not like it. I think writing about a farting dog is an awesome idea for a children's book because kids are so fascinated by farting. But I found that this book is just crude and scary. Walter gets sold by his owner to a freaky clown who forces him to fart, then uses his gas balloons to make people pass out and robs a bank! Clowns already have a terrible reputation, and I think this book makes that worse, as well as forcing a dog to eat beans and then fart constantly. Perhaps the other books in this series are better, but I would not use this book in my classroom. I think it ruins the funny ideas of farting and is just scary.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Walter the Farting Dog.

message 1: by Alexa (new)

Alexa Maring I just laughed as I read your comment. I read this book to my three year old niece who picked it out at the library. Although she thought the book was hilarious, I agree with you. I thought it was a little disturbing. Children love "gross" books and based on the title and cover it seems like a hit...Which it is for children. But for me personally, it was not at "funny" as it is to the children I have seen read it. This would probably not be a book that I would read allowed in my classroom unless I could think of a good lesson to incorporate, but I would make it available to my students since they seem to love it.

message 2: by Molly (new)

Molly Darr I totally agree Amy, although the idea of a farting dog seems funny to write about it do come off as disturbing and unusual. I would not include this in my school library.