Tag Riggs's Reviews > The Greatest Show on Earth: The Evidence for Evolution

The Greatest Show on Earth by Richard Dawkins

May 20, 11

Read in February, 2011

After reading this book, I quickly realized that it was targeted for a particular audience--the choir complete with holy robes and clapping hands shouting, "...Preach it brother Dawkins, preach it my brother, Evolution AMEN!, Hallelujah!" I honestly think that it is required that you be a Dawkinite and part of the Dawkins Tabernacle Choir in order for you to take this book seriously.

I was fully expecting some kind of scientific treatise yet it ended up being like a bunch of guys on the dock laughing and drinking beer talking about how the big one got away. It is amazing how he comes forth in every chapter in bold declarative sentences without justifications or support (support other than being anomalous tautologies) to conclude in mealy mouthed suppositions and suggestions.

I have done a chapter by chapter review on my Facebook page so if interested, you may look for my opinions over there.

For a guy who claimed many books on evolution under his belt yet forgot to give evidence to all his previous ones until TGSOE (He even admits this), I am amazed at what people are willing to believe simply because someone says it to be thus. Dumbing down has reached a new low on this one. I cannot see how anyone who approaches the subject from a scholarly viewpoint can take this book seriously.

9 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Greatest Show on Earth.

Byron Miller I'm not sure how you could have book about evolution and not be frank about opponents thereof. I think he did a great job and if you ask me, the moments i remember from the book were the very descriptive science achievements and detailed descriptions of how we know what we know. If you honestly took this book as an anti-religion book and gave it two stars, i'm not sure we read the same book.

message 2: by Josh (new)

Josh Were you high on something when you read this book? It is absolutely littered with evidence for evolution. There are examples and explanations everywhere.

I don't see how someone could read this book and make such nonsensical claims like this.

...bold declarative sentences without justifications or support besides "anomalous tautologies" - haha... Wow. You're either in denial or under a serious misapprehension.

message 3: by Christiana (last edited Apr 10, 2013 11:46AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Christiana Hadji Saying that this book lacks evidence is like saying that the Pacific Ocean lacks water.
And also, "I am amazed at what people are willing to believe simply because someone says it to be thus." Really, Tag? I mean, really?

Alexander >"I cannot see how anyone who approaches the subject from a scholarly viewpoint can take this book seriously."

"Scholars" already know everything Dawkins is saying. This book is directed at the layperson-nonscientist.

Greg Kowal I don't understand science therefore I'll stick to ignorance and stand the ground with my "God did it" explanation - the creationist's way of thinking...

message 6: by Manny (new) - added it

Manny Panning I'm sorry, what book did you read?

John I totally agree. As much scientific information there is forming the basis of this book, there is a far too clear undertone of superiority and disrespect towards those of opposing viewpoints (FYI I fully accept evolution as a fact). Dawkins is a dick!

message 8: by Tag (new) - rated it 2 stars

Tag Riggs Byron wrote: "I'm not sure how you could have book about evolution and not be frank about opponents thereof. I think he did a great job and if you ask me, the moments i remember from the book were the very descr..."

My review was not based on his religious views. The last I heard, Dawkins claims to be not an atheist but agnostic. I found many of his arguments vacuous, particularly the Russian dog theory (recalling from memory). I thought was absurd at its face. You can believe anything you want to believe. I really don't care. I simply did not view his book as scientific in many areas.

Patrick You can be a gnostic atheist or an agnostic atheist. Dawkins is an agnostic atheist.

This book is aimed at the layperson, and even people who doubt evolution. If you didn't get that from the first two or three chapters then you have no reading comprehension.

To say that he doesn't present evidence, or that this book is unscientific is just laughable.

Leana M Tag, it is now obvious to me why you are claiming what you are. I read your comments under Clint's review on the book "Why Evolution is True". I realize now that your statements are stemming from your perceived need to defend your particular view of religion. In that thread you even said that evolution is based on faith. I almost fell over backwards. You clearly did not allow yourself to learn anything from this book as you are closed to any new information that may not agree with or threaten your preconceived notions. Unfortunately a debate with anyone who holds such a relentless deep seeded biased, will be futile.

message 11: by Keith (new)

Keith Holloway It is clear, that Tag goes around, finding books that support evolution, cherry-picks parts he thinks he can attack and sound intelligent doing so, and then writes reviews about those books, slamming them. That is the only explanation for how he can be so far off base.

message 12: by Mark (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mark There are some nuts on here if thay think god made world and all thats on it , nuts the lot of them.