Darbi Hebrank's Reviews > The Art of Racing in the Rain

The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein

Feb 27, 11

bookshelves: family-turmoil, humorous, imaginative, refreshing
Read from February 18 to 26, 2011

Well, the good news is that I didn't cry as much as I thought I would. And even better news is I really enjoyed myself while reading it. Definitely an interesting perspective...it made me look at my cat differently (not because I was regretting not having a dog, but because I wanted even more than before to get inside HIS head!)
I knew going into it that I was going to have to leap onto an imaginary train, headed to a land where dogs are more eloquent & insightful than any human I know. And I did... Stein definitely mastered that part. I think the book's flaws were in the repetitive nature of the metaphor of the characters' lives to car racing. I know, I know, that was the point, but though beautifully written, especially considering the topic at hand, racing to me just isn't exciting enough to warrant as much time paid to it as Stein did. Also, the fact that Denny's in-laws are such vile creatures was a bit unbelievable. The lengths to which they went to destroy Denny's relationship with his daughter seemed like overkill. Perhaps if Stein had made Denny more of a forgetful father, or one who put effort into fathering, but failed....then maybe then I could have more easily swallowed the turn of events.
That said, I definitely enjoyed it. And I definitely fell in love with Enzo the dog. And I shed several tears in the beginning with the heavy foreshadowing, and more in the end. But I closed it feeling refreshed and satisfied, so we'll call it a success. :)
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Art of Racing in the Rain.