Jenifer's Reviews > The House of Mirth

The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton

Feb 18, 11

Read in February, 2011

Audio. I'm glad I listened to this. It was hard to stick with, and probably would have been even harder if I had been trying to "muckle through" reading it. I love reading books set in the same time period (turn of the century) and also set in New York as this was, but I am more attracted to the immigrants and gangsters than I am to this bourgeois set of folks who spend their lives bound by a complex set of social rules that seem so unreasonable and unnecessary to me.

Lily is unable to escape what she considers to be the "conventionalities of a moral life" partly because of her own stubborn adherence to them but also by those who will "hold her back" from branching out and making a happy life for herself. It was interesting to see her struggle with what she has always known against what she really wants, but not particularly compelling. I just found it hard to care much for these people, although I did find myself rooting for Lily near the end of the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The House of Mirth.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenn (new)

Jenn I have wondered about this one. I really enjoyed the PBS Masterpiece version. I have read a few of Wharton's other books and it is kind of hit and miss for me.

Jenifer I'll see if my library has it.

Amara I thought this was the one I listened to last summer, and it was. I like the cultural stuff precisely because it's so archaic. It's like reading cave paintings or something --fascinating to me. I sure wanted Lily to be happy by the end of the book though.