Judy's Reviews > The Bridges of Madison County

The Bridges of Madison County by Robert James Waller

Jul 23, 13

bookshelves: romance, now-come-on
Read in May, 2005

This book was laughable. Francesca is a housewife living in Iowa where no one--not her children, her husband or her neighbors--see her for the beautiful, fascinating worldly woman she is. Until that fateful day when Robert Kinkaid, a handsome, fascinating worldly man shows up on her doorstep asking for directions. And talk about great timing! Her husband and teen-aged children just happen to be out of town for the next four days. How convenient.

Francesca and Robert have four crazy, wonderful days together, falling madly, deeply, irrevocably in love. (for some reason I feel compelled to use lots and lots of superfluous adverbs when describing this book) He asks her to run away with him. Though it breaks her heart and his, Francesca declines. And everyone cries.

Obviously, Waller is pandering to the dowdy housewives among us who yearn to have a handsome, worldly man who sees us for the fascinating women we believe ourselves to be. It's a fantasy. Waller ignores the fact that every man (even the jerkiest of jerks) can be wonderful for the first four days.

From beginning to end, this book set my teeth on edge.
19 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bridges of Madison County.

Tamsen Great review. This book was god-awful.

message 2: by Judy (new) - rated it 1 star

Judy I'm still secretly hoping that Clint Eastwood will show up on my doorstep while my husband and daughter are out of town and see me for the beautiful, fascinating woman I really am. Of course I want "Play Misty For Me" Clint, not "Gran Torino" Clint.

Fiona Tamsen wrote: "Great review. This book was god-awful."

Totally god-awful. I still don't understand how many otherwise intelligent sensible people liked this book. It's a mystery.

message 4: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  The book was horrible. I was annoyed with myself for taking the time to read it.

message 5: by Judy (new) - rated it 1 star

Judy I took my mother to see the movie when it came out in 1995 and I hated it from start to finish. But it was still better than the book.

Margie Thessin Your review was so wonderfully, amazingly (etc.) on point about this horrible, awful, stupendously (etc.) bad stinker of a book.

Diane I said the same thing! Can't believe it was written by a man. Seemed more like the kind of thing a desperate, lonely housewife watching too many soap operas would write.

Margie Thessin The story was trite and the writing sophomoric. Bad combination.