Charlene's Reviews > Jane Eyre

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë

Jun 12, 14

bookshelves: own, favourite, jane-eyre, ebook

Jane Eyre is an enduring and timeless classic mainly because of its theme. Finding self-worth, building self-confidence and keeping your self-respect. I think Jane’s journey as a character is the most important aspect of the novel. The novel begins with Jane’s childhood, and although the story can seem slow during this section, it really shows how Jane develops her inner strength and strong moral character. So that by the time we get to Rochester, we understand how he can admire and grow to love a plain-spoken woman who believes in herself.

Jane and Rochester’s love story is intensely romantic and emotional, and built on fireside conversations; sparkling with wit and soundly developing their kinship. Mr. Rochester is an interesting and complex character. On one side arrogant and cynical, and on the other intelligent, charismatic and witty. His skewed sense of morality and motivations for certain decisions he makes in the novel, provide conflict and counterpoint to Jane as she falls in love with him and starts to lose sight of who she is. Between the romance and the atmospheric, vivid prose, hinting at mysterious occurrences with supernatural causes, Jane Eyre is almost impossible to put down until you find out the cause of the mystery and how Jane’s story will end.

This is my absolute favorite novel, and one that I go back to re-reading many times. It is well-written, with vividly drawn characters and a well-crafted story. Although Jane and Rochester’s romance is a beautiful part of the novel, I think Jane’s development during her childhood and then her adhesion to her principles until she finds love and independence on her own terms the most inspiring part of the book.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jane Eyre.

Quotes Charlene Liked

Charlotte Brontë
“They spoke almost as loud as Feeling: and that clamoured wildly. "Oh, comply!" it said. "Think of his misery; think of his danger — look at his state when left alone; remember his headlong nature; consider the recklessness following on despair — soothe him; save him; love him; tell him you love him and will be his. Who in the world cares for you? or who will be injured by what you do?"

Still indomitable was the reply — "I care for myself. The more solitary, the more friendless, the more unsustained I am, the more I will respect myself. I will keep the law given by God; sanctioned by man. I will hold to the principles received by me when I was sane, and not mad — as I am now. Laws and principles are not for the times when there is no temptation: they are for such moments as this, when body and soul rise in mutiny against their rigour; stringent are they; inviolate they shall be. If at my individual convenience I might break them, what would be their worth? They have a worth — so I have always believed; and if I cannot believe it now, it is because I am quite insane — quite insane: with my veins running fire, and my heart beating faster than I can count its throbs. Preconceived opinions, foregone determinations, are all I have this hour to stand by: there I plant my foot.”
Charlotte Brontë, Jane Eyre