Dayna's Reviews > Cleopatra: A Life

Cleopatra by Stacy Schiff

May 02, 11

bookshelves: biography, history
Read from February 18 to April 15, 2011

This is one of the most fascinating, well-written biographies I have ever read. I would recommend it to feminists and historians alike. I'm afraid, before I read it, I thought of Cleopatra as a powerful seductress. And while it is true she was lover to both Caesar and Mark Antony, this book helps flesh out the powerful queen, her ambition, political craftiness, her haughtiness. In essence, her humanity.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cleopatra.

message 1: by Judy (new)

Judy This sounds quite interesting. I love it when you give comments on books. Makes me feel like I should read them when on face value I wouldn't have.

Dayna Thanks, Judy. It was a very good one. I listened to it on cd while doing work in the kitchen, which made cooking/washing dishes more pleasant :)

message 3: by Heather (new)

Heather Olson Beal Book club???

Dayna Definitely book club worthy! Although I don't think I'm choosing the next book for quite a while since I just picked for April. We missed you, by the way :)

message 5: by Heather (new)

Heather Olson Beal Did you enjoy all the poetry?

Dayna Only Michelle and Marsha actually brought poems to share. And me. I brought enough for everyone :) Michelle read some Ogden Nash poems for kids, and Marsha read the poem that Pres. Monson read at the end of Conference.