Greg's Reviews > Just Kids

Feb 24, 11

bookshelves: biography, history
Recommended to Greg by: Anne, my wife
Read from February 17 to 23, 2011

Very easy reading compared to the nonfiction I usually get into. Every page is so well crafted. Perhaps it is just nostalgia for this aging hippie, but the first part of the book shows the benefits of sacrifice for those who commit to the life of the artist. I loved the insight that St. Bernadette was called to sainthood which is so much more significant than merely wanting it. For one summer, I hitchhiked around the country with the girl who was to become my wife. I can relate to how being homeless was part of a cosmic adventure during the 60's when the older generation could think of nothing better to do than thin our ranks through pointless war. It was liberating to be truly redundant. The only way up was to determine your worth in your own terms. This is the story of the roll of the dice of Patti Smith and Robert Maplethorp in the artist subculture of Brooklyn and Manhattan. Lots of interesting characters and idols walk through these pages, most of whom I never heard of. Nevertheless I found the book educational and inspiring.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Just Kids.