Larry Zieminski's Reviews > Mr. Monster

Mr. Monster by Dan Wells

Feb 18, 11

Read from February 16 to 17, 2011, read count: 1

This second book in Dan Well's I Am Not A Serial Killer trilogy is very good. I really enjoyed the first book in the series, but this second book surpasses the first book in many ways.

My favorite aspect of these books is the information we get about how the embalming process is done. Stephen King has talked about how death and the ways we care for our dead is one of our big taboo subjects (i.e. we really don't know what goes on between the death of a relative and the viewing of the casket at their funeral). King dealt with the subject a little bit (Pet Sematary), but Dan Wells goes into great detail about what is done. Though the first book had lots of detail on the process, this second book manages to get even deeper into the subject.
Though this is just the second book of the series, there is already something of a pattern developing. At first I was a little disappointed, as I was able to "figure out" who the killer was, based solely on how the first book played out, but thankfully Dan Wells takes that revelation and turns the situation on its head. We don't get a simple redo of the first book.

Another aspect I'm really enjoying is the main character's budding relationship with a possible girlfriend. It's a relationship that can't possibly work (due to our main character's sociopathic tendencies), but I couldn't help myself rooting for it all the same. I can't wait to see how this develops in the 3rd and final (?) book of the trilogy.

Finally I'd like to compliment the cover design of the two books (I read the US paperback version...I don't know if the hardcover editions were different). They are simple, but compelling. For example, this book has Mr. Monster written on the cover, but then it is slashed through with a knife (which sits below the words with Dan Wells printed on the handle). The cover has a raised look that makes the cuts look like they are through the book itself. It's subtle, but a nice touch anyway.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mr. Monster.