Yolanda Sfetsos's Reviews > Cuckoo

Cuckoo by Julia Crouch

Mar 16, 11

bookshelves: thriller
Read from March 14 to 16, 2011 — I own a copy

** spoiler alert ** I found the description of this book intriguing. And when I read that the author actually wrote it during NaNoWriMo, I couldn't wait to get stuck into it...

Rose has recently settled into the new house she's enjoyed renovating in the countryside with her husband and two daughters. She's enjoying getting into some sort of family routine and is finally in a comfortable place with her artist husband, Gareth. However, when her best friend Polly becomes a widow, Rose invites her and her two sons to stay with them until they get themselves settled.

Although Rose's husband isn't thrilled with the idea, because he doesn't particularly like Polly, she still comes to stay. And things start going downhill from there. Rose and Polly have a very odd friendship. They've known each other since they were kids and seem to share a very toxic presence in each other's life. The lives of these two women are intertwined in a series of shocking events. Their connection is filled with wicked manipulation, and sick games. One that actually puts Rose's baby in the hospital.

Suddenly, everything in Rose's life is out of control and she can't get on top of things, but Polly is there to take over and settle the household...

This book is so well written that I was instantly sucked in. The story got under my skin so much that I couldn't wait to read more. But I have to admit, Rose frustrated me. A lot. She was in total denial about her friend's actions and motivations, and let Polly pretty much run riot and ruin her life so much she ends up losing just about everything. Though, Rose isn't as innocent as she first appears. She's very fickle, easily led, and has done plenty of Pollyesque-type things herself.

Cuckoo is a very clever book, with a very spooky story of two friends with so many secrets between them that one of them feels obliged to let the other pop into her life periodically to ruin it. The tension is so thick, I turned every page anticipating what awaited me... all the way to the very shocking conclusion.

I have to admit that the end of the book made me groan, though. Yet, it made perfect sense. This was a great debut!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cuckoo.

03/11/2011 page 17
4.0% "I'll be reading this one after TBtO. :) Great start, btw!"
03/14/2011 page 84
21.0% "Ooooh, I'm really going to enjoy this! I just know it's going to be wicked. :)"
03/14/2011 page 162
40.0% "This book is so freaking interesting! :)"
03/15/2011 page 217
54.0% "My gosh, this book is intoxicatingly great!"
03/15/2011 page 318
79.0% "Oh, Rose... stop being in denial! ;)"
03/15/2011 page 403
100.0% "Need to write a review now..."