Stacey's Reviews > Necessary Losses: The Loves Illusions Dependencies and Impossible Expectations That All of us Have

Necessary Losses by Judith Viorst

Jun 20, 08

bookshelves: book-club
Recommended to Stacey by: Jorene Ring
Recommended for: Dr. Laura?
Read in June, 2008

This book makes me insanely angry. It reminds me of the college days I used to listen to Dr. Laura on the radio and arrive back at our dump of an apartment FIRED UP. While saying that, I agreed with some of what Dr. Laura said, I just hated her delivery. I don't agree with this and find it doesn't line up with my biblical worldview. No, we should not indulge our daydreams and fantasies, to begin with... we should cal sin "sin". In the mean time, don't mention this book to me if you are unprepared for my tirade against Freud and Viorst's thought on Necessary Losses. Isn't Freud's day done?
At the same time, I think the idea of "necessary losses" worth considering-- Particularly the separation from parents, letting go of children and other griefs. On Mother's Day I was subjected to a humiliating family video at my cousins house. It was a peek into extended family gatherings through all my awkward adolescent days (think big bangs and braces)--in every video I was holding a Teddy Bear-- Why didn't they tell me I was too old. That was a loss I should have experienced much earlier. It will make a great book club selesction.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Necessary Losses.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Dad and I were talking about the videos. You were only 10 or 11 during those videos...they were in 87 and 88, so I don't think you were too old for the teddy bears.