Milan/zzz's Reviews > The Geography of Bliss: One Grump's Search for the Happiest Places in the World

The Geography of Bliss by Eric    Weiner

Mar 04, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: nonfiction, travel
Read from February 17 to March 01, 2011

Hmm... I'm really not sure what to think about this one. I could 100% relate myself with the grumpiness of the author: so many of his observations, attitudes, reactions, humour ... could be mine so I should really love this book, right? Well I think I expected that I WILL love it very much when I started reading it and I might would love it more if I didn't have such a high expectations. I guess.
Surely it was entertaining and interesting but something was missing *shrug*
(by the way, three stars is not too bad. it's just I thought this will be such a strong candidate for five)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Geography of Bliss.

Joanna Exactly how I felt -- the book seemed to have real potential, but didn't quite live up to it. I think his tone was pretty inconsistent throughout and he didn't spend long enough in any of his locations to have anything especially interesting to say.

Milan/zzz Agree, though I really want (even more now) to go Iceland. For some reason I always thought how it would be crazy (in a good way) go (and why not stay) there (for a while). After reading part about it I felt attraction toward the island even more. I simply LOVE the part how it's absolutely normal having multiple identities (not personalities!) which is why they have such a wide spectrum of interest and work experience. In that I felt 100% Icelander!
Still, that wasn't enough to improve the whole impression about the book.