Sarah Sammis's Reviews > Once Upon a Starry Night: A Book of Constellations

Once Upon a Starry Night by Jacqueline Mitton

Nov 30, 11

bookshelves: borrowed, read-in-college, read-in-2011
Read from February 17 to 28, 2011

Once Upon a Starry Night by Jacqueline Mitton was one of the books I chose for an astronomy themed project last semester. The goal was to come up with twelve age appropriate books on a certain topic. In this case the age range was ages 5 to 8 which by itself ended up being extremely difficult. I don't plan on reviewing every single book from the project but Mitton's book was one of my favorites.

Once Upon a Starry Night is an introduction to the lesser known constellations. It's a companion book two others: Zodiac, which covers the twelve best known constellations, and Zoo in the Sky, which covers the animal constellations.

Mitton provides short, easy to read summaries of the stories behind each of the constellations included in the book. Where appropriate she includes hints on pronunciation.

What makes this book though are Christina Balit's illustrations. They remind me of Roman mosaics. The stars are done with a gold foil and really catch the eye.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Once Upon a Starry Night.