pri's Reviews > One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are

One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp

Feb 17, 11

bookshelves: 2011
Read in February, 2011

i think this can be read however you see "god(s)". but to dare to be grateful and to alive in the life that you have. You can read this as purely religious or as connected with grace and life. it is strongly geared towards "God" with a capital G but I took a lot away from it in terms of grace and gratitude.

some quotes:
"and though you tremble and though you wonder and though the world is ugly, it is beautiful, and you can slow and you can trust and you can receive each moment as grace."

"I don't mention it often, but sometimes I think of that story in the Old Testament. Can't remember what book, but you know - when God gave King Hezekiah fifteen more years of life? Because he prayed for it? But if Hezekiah had died when God first intended, Manasseh would never have been born. And what does the Bible say about Manasseh? Something to the effect that Manasseh had led the Israelites to do even more evil than all the heathen nations around Israel. Think of all the evil that would have been avoided if Hezekiah had not died earlier... I am not saying anything, either way, about anything... Just that maybe... maybe you don't want to change the story, because you don't know what a different ending holds"

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Thousand Gifts.