Peg Catron's Reviews > Fear and Trembling

Fear and Trembling by Søren Kierkegaard

F_50x66
Feb 07, 08

Read in January, 1998

Kierkegaard is an intense read, but profound. I fell in love with him when I was going through a reorganization of my faith. In this book he presents the idea of the "knight of faith" -- the one who stands alone in direct relation to God, beyond the safety of a creed or institution. He uses Abraham as the ultimate example of the knight of faith. This is theistic existentialism -- and existential angst -- at its most sublime. Although reading Kierkegaard is difficult at times, there are many moments of penetrating lucidity and stark, stunning poetry.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fear and Trembling.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Alex Szatmary I relate! Kierkegaard isn't just a philosopher, reading him was really useful when I was in tremendous doubt, and his usefulness hasn't diminished.

message 2: by Peg (new) - rated it 5 stars

Peg Catron Thanks for your comment. How has he shaped your life? I went through a reorganization of faith -- from a fundamentalist minister to an existential Christian/new age seeker. . .

Alex Szatmary I was raised evangelical, and was an avid Christian until Fall '06, when, all of a sudden, God seemed shockingly not-real, in light of the chaos of the world. I checked out a few other options in Christianity, but gave up, and went agnostic; any systematization of God was unreal to me. I read Fear and Trembling in this period of doubt, and Kierkegaard really did two great things for me:
1 He helped me distinguish my belief in God, and God's actual reality. This way, I could doubt without panicking, and begin to think for myself.
2 Kierkegaard's notion of God is that God is fundamentally paradoxical. This let me let go of a lot of my intellectual objections to God.
In December of last year, I came back around to being something of a believing Christian, but I still doubt a lot, and I'm okay with that. The important thing, for me, is to see the question of God not as something I can settle with logic, but something that has to be understood empirically.

Thanks for asking!

What do you mean by "existential Christian/new age seeker"?

message 4: by Peg (new) - rated it 5 stars

Peg Catron I still believe in a higher power. . . that seems to be something solid for me beyond the myth. I am finding a lot of validation for this view in the study of quantum physics; I think that science is now providing us with a new language to talk about and perhaps a new understanding of God. And it seems to support the essence of what Jesus envisioned. . . I don't buy the post easter myth about Jesus, but I do believe he lived at an incredibly high level of consciousness and can serve as a great model and mentor.