Laurielu Bona Fide Reflections's Reviews > The Iron Duke

liked it
bookshelves: 2011-reads, first-in-series, steampunk, historical
Recommended for: 18 and over Steampunk fans
Read from May 30 to June 01, 2011 , read count: 1

While I am a huge fan of Meljean Brook's Guardian Series, I am not sure I am sold on the Iron Seas Series. The Iron Duke was good in that it had an awesomely yummy aplha male, an admirably strong heroine, and a good plot. The story included a good host of secondary characters that made the reader bond strongly into the story.

However, my failing in the enjoyment of the book was that the "steampunkness" of the book was a little too convoluted and had me going "huh?" a lot. Parts of the book were hard for me to follow when it came to the buggers, the bounders, the Horde, etc. I do have to give kudos to Ms. Brook for her originality and imagination. But, the bridge that takes a reader into the author's world could not quite be sold to me and left me a little lost and disconnected from the story.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Iron Duke.

05/31/2011 page 173
46.0% "interesting read so far...."
05/31/2011 page 201
53.0% "Mmm... the Iron Duke is really breaking my heart with his feelings for Mina. Love this book!"

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Sharon Oh, I really like this one. Rhys is an awesome alpha. It was my first Steampunk and worth the read!