Lesley's Reviews > Jane Eyre

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë

May 03, 11

bookshelves: classic, read-2011, 4-and-a-half-stars
Read in May, 2011, read count: 1

This is a book that is meant to be read and re-read simply for the pleasure it gives and to meet once again with the strong and admirable character and heroine that is Jane Eyre.. And Mr. Rochester is not a bad sort, either!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jane Eyre.

Quotes Lesley Liked

Charlotte Brontë
“I am no bird; and no net ensnares me: I am a free human being with an independent will.”

Charlotte Brontë
“I do not think, sir, you have any right to command me, merely because you are older than I, or because you have seen more of the world than I have; your claim to superiority depends on the use you have made of your time and experience.”

Charlotte Brontë
“I have now been married ten years. I know what it is to live entirely for and with what I love best on earth. I hold myself supremely blest - blest beyond what language can express; because I am my husband's life as fully as he is mine. No woman was ever nearer to her mate than I am: ever more absolutely bone of his bone and flesh of his flesh. I know no weariness of my Edward's society: he knows none of mine, any more than we each do the pulsation of the heart that beats in our separate bosoms; consequently, we are ever together. To be together is for us to be at once free as in solitude, as gay as in company. We talk, I believe, all day long: to talk to each other is but more animated and an audible thinking. All my confidence is bestowed on him, all his confidence is devoted to me; we are precisely suited in character - perfect concord is the result.”
tags: love

Charlotte Brontë
“Jane, my little darling (so I will call you, for so you are), you don't know what you are talking about; you misjudge me again: it is not because she is mad I hate her. If you were mad, do you think I should hate you?"

"I do indeed, sir."

"Then you are mistaken, and you know nothing about me, and nothing about the sort of love of which I am capable. Every atom of your flesh is as dear to me as my own: in pain and sickness it would still be dear. Your mind is my treasure, and if it were broken, it would be my treasure still: if you raved, my arms should confine you, and not a strait waistcoat--your grasp, even in fury, would have a charm for me: if you flew at me as wildly as that woman did this morning, I should receive you in an embrace, at least as fond as it would be restrictive. I should not shrink from you with disgust as I did from her: in your quiet moments you should have no watcher and no nurse but me; and I could hang over you with untiring tenderness, though you gave me no smile in return; and never weary of gazing into your eyes, though they had no longer a ray of recognition for me.”

Charlotte Brontë
“I know I must conceal my sentiments: I must smother hope; I must remember that he cannot care much for me. For when I say that I am of his kind, I do not mean that I have his force to influence, and his spell to attract: I mean only that I have certain tastes and feelings in common with him.I must, then, repeat continually that we are forever sundered: - and yet, while I breathe and think, I must love him.”

Charlotte Brontë
“To prolong doubt was to prolong hope.”

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Tracy-anne Do you want to go and see the new movie together after we read the book?

Lesley sure! i haven't seen a preview yet... does it look good?

Tracy-anne I haven't seen a full preview yet, but I really like the actress that plays Jane. (She played Alice in the recent Alice in Wonderland movie.)

Have you started the book yet? Even though I read it many years ago, I am going to reread it... I vaguely remember it being a bit of a tough read for me. All the classics are... Probably because I feel like I should read them instead of wanting to read them.

Lesley No, I haven't started it yet. I'm going to check it out at the library. Yeah, I've mostly stayed away from classics but there are so many references in other books that I feel I should read them just to understand books better in general.

Tracy-anne Let me know when you start to read Jane Eyre cause then I'll start too. I'm on a mission right now to read all the HP books.

Lesley I have the book and I'll probably start on it this weekend.

Tracy-anne Whew! I started to think that you were reading it without me! I'll start reading it this weekend as well. Be forewarned that I don't read as fast as I use to and I really only get time to read before bed. Wish me luck cause it's been a LONG time since I've read a classic.