Laura Verret's Reviews > The Last Disciple

The Last Disciple by Hank Hanegraaff

Feb 17, 11

bookshelves: historical-fiction
Read in February, 2011

Hanegraaff and Brouwer had an extremely interesting cast of characters, an intriguing story-line, a wonderful setting, and good theology to apply to the story. But somehow, this book wasn't a gripper. First off, it wasn't very coherent - the authors decided to jump around from story to story (about five of them) dedicating a few pages to one plot, then whisking you off to another before you've got your feet planted on the first one. I think that the authors were trying to increase the drama by the quick cuts from one scene to another (which may have worked in a film), but instead it took away from the drama because you didn't have enough time to really get involved with the story before you were hurried away to the next.

Secondly, the characters could have been very interesting, but the authors were so intent on the plot that the characters faded into the back-ground. They weren't carefully cultivated and revealed to the reader, they were hastily cut-and-pasted into the story.

That all said, I did appreciate the way the authors wove a preterist interpretation into the story in a way that was interesting and quite natural (i.e. it didn't seem like they were hurling their interpretations at you for no good reason). The deciphering of the code was made a crucial key to the survival of first century Christians as they battled not to submit themselves to the beast, Nero, and it was also the cause of increased persecution from Nero and his minions, Tigellinus and Helius.

I wouldn’t put this book at the top of your to-read list, but it was (in its own way) interesting. (And I did enjoy the time that I spent reading it).
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Disciple.

Anna I agree with your review. I too felt that we weren't given enough feel for each character; they all seemed aloof, especially Vitas. That said, I did enjoy the book immensely. TFS!