Katherine's Reviews > London

London by Edward Rutherfurd

Apr 01, 08

Recommended to Katherine by: Eric
Recommended for: lovers of English history, historical fiction
Read in January, 2008

Not great literature, but a very interesting way of presenting the history of a place through individuals and their descendants, of different classes, living in different times, each generation bearing the physical and psychological characteristics of their forebears.

It begins with the very first inhabitants of the the area later known as London, all the way up to the present day. A nice overview of major events in the history of London/England, from the Druids, to the Britons, the Roman occupation, the Angle, Saxon, and Viking invasions, the Plantegenets, the wool trade, Henry Tudor, the Reformation and puritanism, plague, Shakespeare and Elizabeth I, Charles I and Cromwell, the Great Fire, the rise of the stock exchanges and trade in the east indies, the rise of Parliament, particularly the House of Commons, the World Wars and the Blitz, etc.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read London.

message 1: by Christina (new)

Christina I liked this one. Not too heavy, but lots of interesting historical detail! How can you not pick up a novel titled "London"?

Eric I thought it was a good book. Okay, so in the service of a comprehensive survey of English history, the characters are little more than cartoons. So what, right? It was better than the similarly structured "Poland" by Michener that I'm finding it difficult to care enough about finishing to actually finish.

Katherine Don't get me wrong,I thoroughly enjoyed this book, and thanks for recommending it!

Eric Don't get ME wrong, eh?! I took from your review that you'd enjoyed well. I agree it isn't great literature - it isn't. but it is a great book! Cheers