Sisi's Reviews > The Vintner's Luck

Oct 03, 08

bookshelves: own
Recommended for: everyone
Read in October, 2008

This is such a good book. I haven't encountered a book like it before. It's beautifully written. It is incredibly detailed, yet at the same time sparse, as the story is told over 60+ years. The "chapters" are the years that pass, and some chapters are barely a paragraph long, as Knox briefly articulates what happens in the year 1859, for example. Additionally I highly enjoyed the way Knox utilises French vintner terms for each year, as well as the integral role the winery and wine play in the story.

The plot is clever, the characters are fascinating in all their glory and flaws, and to tackle Catholic theology within a relatively short novel in such a way is involving and interesting. In truth I would hesitate to call it theology for this is not a true indication, rather Knox uses the struggle between the human and the divine to explore relationships in an incredibly unique way. Indeed, the book is secular in its treatment of politics, there is no preaching; the divinity and piety of the characters merely that - part of the story, and necessary in fact, for one of the two main characters is an angel. (Named Xas! Reason enough to read I should think ;D).

Since I have a, ahem, talent shall we say, or tendency to mangle book descriptions, I shall refrain from it here. However I would highly recommend you (i.e. my friends) read the blurb/reviews and read it because I loved this book. It was amazing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Vintner's Luck.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Sisi OMG PEOPLE. MOVIE BEING MADE OF IT RELEASING NEXT YEAR. WITH GASPARD ULLIEL AS XAS AND JEREMIE RENIER AS SOBRAN. MUST SEEEEEEEEEEE. Will probably fall vastly short of the novel though. Oh well, the eye candy should be enough. ;)