Alison's Reviews > Life From Scratch

Life From Scratch by Melissa  Ford

Apr 03, 11

bookshelves: xpired-2011-sbc-read, xpired-2011-read, kindle-read-and-removed
Read from March 16 to April 03, 2011

I got this book as a freebie for my kindle. I started it about a month ago I guess and only got 10% in. I dont normally read books about depressed/newly divorced women because, let's face it, they're generally fall into one of 3 categories and are painfully predictable:
1) depressed, lonely, hapless and make me want to slit my wrists
2) trying (miserably) to make a new life after divorce
3) trying (again miserably) to become the person that they were before the divorce (generally a happy independant 20-something instead of a depressed, codependant mid-30s or mid-40s).

THis book was different than those kinds. While it did have it's share of post-divorce depression and (quite frankly some parts were just like slogging through molasses to get through) soul-searching this book also had a few very unique angles-a woman teaching herself to cook for the first time and having her failures and successes with that as well as an interesting blog tie in which I really enjoyed. Gael's character was believable but I found the sister to be pretty unbelivable. I liked Rachel's character and found her endearing.

I also really really liked the ending.

THis author also attended my school, umass amherst-so you know it wasn't a bad book :)
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Life From Scratch.