Angie's Reviews > Hiroshima

Hiroshima by John Hersey

Mar 02, 11

Read from February 17 to March 02, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

I found this book at a thrift store and thought I would like to read about Hiroshima since my son will be going to that area in April for a 2 year mission.

It's just a small book so quite an easy read.

The author, John Hersey, traveled to Japan right after the bomb touched down and recorded 6 survivors accounts on what happened to them and around them.

Hair loss, open wounds, nausea were the least of the problems many faced. Nearly 100,000 Japanese died from the bomb that the Americans dropped on them in 1945.

It was interesting to me to pay attention to my thoughts and feelings about American doing such a tragic thing to another country. It really broke my heart.

Hiroshima is not a fast paced book and jumps from survivor to survivor, but a great read if you are interested in the aftermath of an atomic bomb.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hiroshima.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah I am interested to see what you think of this book...let me know!

Angie Check out my review and let me know what you thought of it. I'll check to see if you've already written a review!

Angie

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah I haven't read it, just am interested in the war history books if they are good ones! :)

Angie I enjoyed this one. I think you should read it. Its only about 115 pages. A very small book. Now I need to read more about why we dropped the bomb.

I love WWII books because I went to Germany a few years ago and visited Dachau.

Some of my favs are: Night by Elie Wiesel, Stones from the River by Ursala Hegi, of course Anne Frank, I loved the war book Unbroken too!