Bree's Reviews > Future Imperfect

Future Imperfect by K. Ryer Breese

Mar 22, 11

bookshelves: first-reads, 2011
Read on March 21, 2011

I won this ARC through the goodreads giveaway, and I had no idea of what to expect. Honestly, I really liked Future Imperfect...and maybe even loved it. I love the narrator, Ade, and almost want to compare his smartass inner dialogue to Holden Caulfield...almost. And I only say almost because I feel badly for HC, whereas, Ade makes me laugh but then want to kick him in the head a couple times (though, he'd probably like that).

Ade Patience can see the future, but his visions only come to him from concussions, which are followed by an incredible high. So with the promise of the high and visions of the future, Ade begins concussing himself on a regular basis. Yes, we have pages and pages of him beating the crap out of himself, and it's somehow hilarious. His mother even anxiously awaits to record his visions, believing them to be direct messages from "Baby Jesus." However, the greater portion of the storyline revolves around (a) Ade getting to know the future love of his life and (b) Ade trying to figure out how to change something in the future that he doesn't want to come true.

It's dark, a little scary, but strangely funny and very enjoyable.

Favorite quotes include:
-"I don't mean to be offensive, but one day I hope you break your neck."
-"I've been "sober" now five hours."
-"This girl, damn she's my Holmes."

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Future Imperfect.