Tatiana's Reviews > Every You, Every Me

Every You, Every Me by David Levithan

Sep 21, 11

bookshelves: abandoned, ya, tres-annoying, mysteries-thrillers-horror
Recommended for: those who can't get enough of the ANGST
Read from September 20 to 21, 2011

I usually like David Levithan, a lot even. But this new experimental piece of his - it caused me physical pain to slog through that little bit of the book that I did manage to read.

Let me recount my problems with Every You, Every Me in order of appearance:

1) the ANGST - the book assaults with an unbearable amount of teen boy angst from the very first page, when you do not even know the main character's name and circumstances. It's just angst, angst, angst with a hint of mystery. The novel breathes, circulates on, bleeds angst.

2) struck through words - would you like to read a book where 50% of the text is struck through? I find this technique fairly annoying, but in some books (Wintergirls) it can work, here it serves no discernible purpose except adding in a double dose of angst and appears to be pretty random.

3) it is a writing exercise! - the book was evidently written around photographs, meaning, the photographer would send David some random picture and he will write the next piece of novel based on it, without knowing what is to come next. It's not that I have anything against using photographs as an inspiration, but when you use something like this to limit your creativity, it almost always feels forced and inorganic. (See Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children for more examples.)

Every You, Every Me should have never made it into print and stayed where it belongs - in Levithan's bottom desk drawer with the rest of his creative writing exercises.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Every You, Every Me.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by John (new) - added it

John Egbert Do you mind if I ask why it wasn't good? I kind of wanted to read it from the summary but if it's bad I don't think I'll waste my time...

Tatiana Hope my review explains, Mello.

message 3: by John (new) - added it

John Egbert Thank you!

message 4: by Cory (new) - added it

Cory Oh, joy. Not another emo boy. I didn't really like Levithan's Will Grayson and he's bringing another to print? At least the typography for the cover, as well as the title are cool.

Tatiana Cory, I liked WG, but this boy here is emo to the tenth degree. IMO.

message 6: by Megan (last edited Sep 21, 2011 02:12PM) (new)

Megan Huh... I almost want to pick it up to see just how bad interesting it is. Crazy that bad reviews can be just as enticing as good reviews :)

message 7: by Tatiana (last edited Sep 21, 2011 02:18PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Tatiana Go ahead, Megan. Please tell me I am wrong. I feel a super strong aversion to it, like never before. Just looking at the ARC now makes me feel a little nauseous.

message 8: by Megan (new)

Megan Perhaps I'll see if the library plans on getting it. It looks like an interesting concept for a short story, but for 200+ pages? Maybe not.

I read another review of this book which mentioned Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children and made a statement hoping for "picture books" to be the next trend. I guess that is what happens when one author has a great idea that goes horribly, horribly wrong.

message 9: by Baby (new)

Baby T-Rex If you don't like the struck through words, definitely don't pick up Shatter Me.

Tatiana Liz wrote: "If you don't like the struck through words, definitely don't pick up Shatter Me."

I've already heard so much about Shatter Me, beside struck through words, that I am sure I shouldn't even touch that book.

message 11: by Baby (new)

Baby T-Rex Good call.

message 12: by Flannery (new)

Flannery I could barely handle Levithan's Will Grayson's angst. Pass.

message 13: by Anne (new) - rated it 2 stars

Anne I totally agree. I finished the book but was exhausted by the angst and hand wringing. I know a lot of teenagers but I just don't know any that sit around talking about the things that Ariel and Evan talked about. I get that she was depressed but she was just too esoteric for me. I usually like Levithan's work but don't see what all of the hype is for this book

message 14: by Aleeeeeza (new)

Aleeeeeza agree with Flann. WG was a bit of a pain in the arse :/

Chelsea I'm in total agreement with you. The book was painful to read in so many ways.

Nicole I have to agree with you. I think this is the most angst ridden book I've read

Immie Disagree. The struck through words were there to represent the voices and memories in his head haunting him. And just because he's depressed does not make him emo. He's obviously not going to be the most cheery person in the world, his best friend has just attempted suicide and is now in a mental hospital and he can't see her, and he blames himself. To make everything worse, the only other person who cared about her now seems not to, and they're both being stalked. If it was you then you certainly would not be the happiest person ever. It's realistic he's sad, doesn't make him 'emo'. The ending, however, was mediocre and was all very sudden.

message 18: by Eri-chan (new)

Eri-chan I like Miss Peregrine's.. doesn't seem inorganic and forced at all. just saying xD *shrugs*

Alyaa that's BS. David was able to create a connection between the pictures and the text perfectly. I would not say it was a "writing exercise" more of a challenge. The beginning of the book was meant to grab the reader's attention. And, the crossed out text is only to show emphasis on the main character's regret.

Abigail Galit I agree with Alyaa..I liked the book because I think it was unique in a way and the crossed out text symbolised that he had anxiety and felt guilty and responsible for his friend's disappearance...All in all I liked the book because I believe that every book has its own story to tell ^_~ NERDFIGHTERS!

tan tee may Upon i agree with you review. i found this book a pain in the ass to read and nearly poked my own eyes out at the dreadful slashing across words writing. this just wasnt readable. the story didnt hold much for me either.