Larissa Ione's Reviews > Enclave

Enclave by Ann Aguirre

Feb 17, 11

First, the disclaimer: Ann Aguirre is my friend. I've blurbed her Ava Gray books not because she's my friend, but because I love her writing.

So when she said she'd written a Young Adult novel, I begged her for an ARC, and here's where I get totally objective in my review:

I freaking LOVED Enclave. It has nothing to do with Ann being my friend or loving her past writing. This book simply blew me away. It's easily the best YA I've read, and it's one of the best books, YA or adult, I've read in months.

Written in the heroine's POV, it's a mix of The Walking Dead, The Road, and The Lord of the Flies. It's grim, gritty, and it's disturbing. But it's also fast-paced, full of fully-fleshed characters and a kick-ass heroine. There are clues littered throughout that make you start putting bits of the world puzzle together...where do these people really live, what are the Freaks, how did the world get to be this way? With every clue I got excited and formed theories -- in the end, I was right, and it was a lot of fun to get there.

I gave it to my 13 Y.O. son to read when I was finished, and he loved the book as much as I did. I think that if you enjoy dystopian fiction, if you liked The Hunger Games, this might be right up your alley. My only complaint is that it wasn't longer, but I'll definitely be waiting on pins and needles for the sequel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Enclave.