Arnie's Reviews > Hull Zero Three

Hull Zero Three by Greg Bear

Feb 17, 11

Read in February, 2011

I grew up on Science Fiction, and Greg Bear is one of my favorite authors. I don't read as much SF these days because I frankly find most of it unrealistic or so far "out there" that it's not accessible. It seams that reality is catching up to SF ideas faster than SF authors can generate them. That is not the case with Hull Zero Three - it is an original take on the generation ship novel, and it is certainly trans-human enough to create an almost unrecognizable human future of genetic engineering and AI. The problem is that Hull Zero Three is a bit too obtuse. The descriptions - lyrical as they are - are not easy to visualize. The characters - by their very physical nature and the rules of the book - are not conventional "souls" you can "care about" because when one dies, the "ship" just grows another one and imprints memories on it. This is a great moral point to investigate, but Bear seems to gloss over it, instead driving toward an explanation of what has gone wrong with the three "Hulls" of this generation ship. This is not a bad book by any means - better writing and skill is rarely found in any fiction I read - but the story itself left me a little cold.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hull Zero Three.