Anders's Reviews > Voices From the Street

Voices From the Street by Philip K. Dick

Dec 19, 11

Read in December, 2011

** spoiler alert ** Written and set in the early 50's but not published until 2007, this is my first Dick novel. It's comparable to pulp writing I've read (Chandler, Willerford, Thompson et al) in some ways, but without a crime element. A bored seeker is disenchanted with the prospects of options in his life. He flirts with religious answers, shagging, drinking etc. and has an outburst or breakdown toward the end before confirming his original position and accepting a "normal" life style including a job, wife and a child. The plotline is a common one, which I like, and while it's a smooth read the story of Stuart Hadley rarely speaks to me, a bit plain and anti-climactic, floating alone. Perhaps I'm conditioned by having read several books along similiar lines that I'm hard to impress. Perhaps in the 50's the revealing of such doubts was more rarely expressed in mainstream America? I'm going to read some of his sci-fi works soon.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Voices From the Street.