Tricia's Reviews > Sweet Thursday

Feb 18, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: 11-02-feb
Read from February 15 to 17, 2011

I have to say I was kind of hoping this book would have been just that much better than Cannery Row, given that Steinbeck would have had another 10 years' experience under his belt. But I wouldn't say his writing had changed much or improved from the previous look at the Monterey neighbourhood. In fact, surprisingly, this is a full on romance story. It doesn't change much in difference to most romance novels except that the main characters aren't the ones being active in their own roles. Instead, the denizens of Cannery Row try to make fate work for the two romantic leads. It works in this context, mostly. But I'm not sure how I feel about this tale. It feels too much like everyone kept perstering Steinbeck to write another Monterey book and he finally capitulated, undermining them with a love story. It works, the writing is crisp, but there is a lot more dialogue (the prologue lists dialogue and descriptions for each chapter as the two things people want more of in a novel), and the underlying plot is subtly different than the previous party stories.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sweet Thursday.