Pete daPixie's Reviews > Mary Magdalen: Essential History

Mary Magdalen by Susan Haskins

Feb 28, 2011

bookshelves: historical-jesus, art
Read from February 26 to 28, 2011

'Mary Magdalen The Essential History' is a huge book, much bigger than it's four hundred pages. I selected this from the library shelf marked Religion. Indeed, the subject matter of it's early pages is theology. The author explores the Old and New Testaments as well as the Gnostic gospels to help shed light on the confusion associated with the female followers of Jesus, and why Mary Magdalen, Mary of Bethany and Luke's sinner were viewed as one and the same. However, then the narrative takes off into the exploration of Mary of Magdala, the reformed sinner, through two thousand years of European history, exploring the religious institutions set up in her name and the artistic works from Roman and Byzantine churches. The explorations of the images on canvas, in sculpture, mosaic and literature throughout these two millennia is accomplished and erudite.
Susan Haskins then brings the book full circle with a tour de force final chapter assault on the continuing paternalistic power politics of the modern day church, still entrenched in a Judaic and Hellenistic philosophy that the founder of Christianity clearly rejected in his lifetime.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mary Magdalen.

message 1: by Monica (new) - added it

Monica You are such a GOODREADER. I'm impressed at how much you read and absorb without getting stuck on details. I so appreciate your ability to express the broad themes of the books you read in a clear and concise fashion. You give the book 4 stars, and, once again, I give your review 5!

message 2: by Pete (last edited Mar 03, 2011 11:54AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pete daPixie Monica wrote: "You are such a GOODREADER. I'm impressed at how much you read and absorb without getting stuck on details. I so appreciate your ability to express the broad themes of the books you read in a clear ..."

Cheers Mon! This is more art than theology...you might like this one.

message 3: by Monica (new) - added it

Monica My uncle was a Jesuit who left the church and went on to teach comparative religion. I don't know details but he has friends at the Vatican. I'm going to tell him about these, too.

Did you see I suggested the Blue Guides?

Pete daPixie Blue guides ok. I've noticed those about.

message 5: by Eileen Jurek (new)

Eileen Jurek How did you like this

Pete daPixie Eileen Jurek wrote: "How did you like this"Four stars...so I really liked it, five years back.