Chally's Reviews > The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie

Feb 17, 2011

Read on February 17, 2011

02/17/2011 page 154

Brandann Ooh! I'll be interested to see what you think of this!

message 2: by Chally (new) - added it

Chally It was really, really good. I felt similarly to how you did in a lot of ways, and I was wincing with the "lame"ing. It was raw, and refreshing, and confronted difficult issues head on. It was very well written, and I'm glad to be reading something about Native Americans *by* a Native American!! I am very sad to hear that it has autobiographical elements; I'm sad for Sherman Alexie.

Brandann Chally wrote: "It was really, really good. I felt similarly to how you did in a lot of ways, and I was wincing with the "lame"ing. It was raw, and refreshing, and confronted difficult issues head on. It was very ..."

At the time, I had just snatched the book up and didn't know it was semi-autobiographical. I think, in the end, that we shouldn't be sad for him, so much, and try to understand how that shaped his life and his outlook on things. Part of what I struggled with was the "flight" feeling, that "white is better" feeling, the idea that everything was better on the other side and the only way out is... well, out. But I had to actually reflect on my own life, and the way it would have been drastically different had I grown up on the rez back home.

So much of his book was so incredibly in line with what I know, and so much of it... I just hope that YA readers don't go away thinking that this is the only way NAs live.

I agree with you, though: It is refreshing to read a book about NAs by an NA author.

Sophie Chally wrote: "It was really, really good. I felt similarly to how you did in a lot of ways, and I was wincing with the "lame"ing. It was raw, and refreshing, and confronted difficult issues head on. It was very ..."

It doesn't just have autobiographical elements--it's actually a toned-DOWN version of his life. People say to him that the number of funerals the main character attended is kind of unbelievable, and he says in that time in his life, it was MANY more.