Andrea's Reviews > Blackout

Blackout by Rob Thurman

Mar 06, 11

Read from March 03 to 06, 2011

** spoiler alert ** This book was quite a surprise as it didn't go the way I thought the book following Roadkill would go. (Roadkill, btw, one of the sadest ending of a book I've ever read, when Catcher finally went completely Wolf and Rafferty followed him into the wild, serious lump in the throat.) I expected Cal to slip further down the dangerous Auphe-hill and into more madness. Instead we get Good Cal who can't remember a thing except that he is a killer and that there are monsters in this world.

I thought it was a brilliant way to have a new indepth look at the Leandros brothers relationship, and let's face it, they are the reason for me reading this series at all. Cal basically had to get to know Nik all over and that made for both funny and heartbreaking reading. The fact that as a reader you know all about how Nik feels about his brother made me hate Good Cal a little bit sometimes. I mean, he might have been happier, but he was in no way a nice guy.

There was also lots of Robin, Salome and Ishiah which was great. I just love Robin, he is so much fun, but he can also turn on the serious like he does when he tells Cal to stop making jokes about Nik's devotion to his safety. Ish has turned down the wrathful angel act, made me think better of him. Maybe he actually is deserving of the awesomeness that is the puck Robin Goodfellow?

Ammut and her spiders felt like they were mostly being used to further the relationship plot, and that's fine. After Roadkill's BIG baddie, it was nice with an opponent that felt more beatable and not have that "end of the world" feel to it. And also the amnesia leading Cal to finding his *shudder* brothers and sisters was brilliant. Overall, the last few chapters were perfect, with Cal saving Nik with his gate and him turning into Old Cal again, without too much emotional drama, his brother needed him back and that was that, being human was just a dream and not even a very good one.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blackout.