Lily's Reviews > Thirteen Reasons Why

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Feb 18, 11

bookshelves: favorite-ya-and-childrens, signed-books

13 reasons why by Jay Asher
Reviewed by Moirae the fates book reviews

Jay Asher's brilliant first novel is a moving, highly original story that focuses on a set of audiotapes made by a girl before she committed suicide, and which explain to 13 people the reasons why she decided to end her life. Told in a highly effective duel narrative -- alternating between the girl s voice and the thoughts of a boy who is listening -- this honest, poignant story reveals how other people's actions shape, and by extension can ruin, an individual's faith in people. Intensely powerful and painfully real, Thirteen Reasons Why reveals how brutal high school can be, the consequences of spreading rumors, and the lasting effects of suicide on those left behind. (Synopsis provided by goodreads)

This is a very serious book with a very serious topic. It’s a book that should be read by people of all ages. I think it is a very powerful book, it’s now the second time I have read it.
I have seen some people that say they hate the book and think it absolves Hannah of any wrong doing and places the blame solely on the 13 people. I think this is all a matter of perception. In the book, Clay doesn’t think Hannah is trying to absolve herself, nor does Hannah.
She was merely saying that the peoples action helped her make the decision. I didn’t think that the author was condoning suicide at all.
This is a very well written book and one of the best young adult novels I have ever found. I would strongly encourage everyone to read it and take the message to heart, what we say and do to one another can have a profound effect on another person’s life.

Overall rating
***** 5 out of 5 stars
Cover art:
I liked it with Hannah staring into the distance.
Obtained