Megan's Reviews > Mockingbird

Mockingbird by Kathryn Erskine

Apr 23, 11

Read in April, 2011

"Now my heart is pounding loud and I want to moan but Devon says you can't moan or scream or shake your hands up and down or rock or get under a table or spin around over and over in public. Actually you can't do most things over and over in public because that's not normal unless it's something like clapping or laughing but you have to do it only at the right times and places and Devon always tells me. Now I don't know anymore." (pg 27)

Fifth-grader Caitlin is smart -- her reading scores are off the charts, she has won adult art competitions -- but she has a hard time relating to people due to Asperger's syndrome, a mild form of autism. Her older brother explains things to her, until he dies. Now Caitlin is sure that she and her dad need some closure -- a word she found in a book -- she's just not sure how to get it.

Caitlin's narration brings you into her world where "Books are not like people. Books are safe. (pg 34)" and people don't say what they mean -- and certainly don't want her to say what she means, "I don't think you're disgusting just because you have hair sticking out of your ear.(pg 135)"

Rated PG for thematic elements (her brother was killed in a school shooting). I would highly recommend this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mockingbird.