mark monday's Reviews > Cat's Cradle

Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut

131922
there are probably as many reviews of Cat's Cradle as there are stars in the sky, so no doubt there's little i can add that's of any value. who cares? i love hearing myself talk, so let's go for it!

.....

well, this is harder than i thought. it's as easy as describing why i love my favorite pillow or threadbare t-shirt, or why i like rainy days as much as sunny days. okay, here goes. the inventiveness of Cat's Cradle and its bleak, absurd humor was incredibly eye-opening to me in high school and it practically provided a template for how i looked at things. in college, it was a joy to return to, particularly after the tedious nonsense foisted upon me in various classes (well, in time, i grew to love all the tedious nonsense foisted upon me, but that was years later, and besides the point). after college, it defined the outlook of almost everyone i knew around me, and i remember bothering folks to read it so that they could understand some of my references, or so that they could read their own worldview, in book form. when i said things like "impaled... on a giant hook" or "i want to read your index", folks had no clue about what i was talking about. i guess that's why i eventually stopped saying those phrases.

and back to the book. Cat's Cradle: it has warmth and anger and wisdom and an almost naive kind of brashness at times. i love that combo.

favorite character: cynical young Philip Castle: do-gooder, sarcastic asshole, painter, owner of a hotel that scorns snobs and is therefore pretty empty. i love you, Philip Castle! my second fictional crush slash look, i see myself! type character. Holden Caulfield came first and Donnie Darko eventually replaced you... but you were the dreamiest.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cat's Cradle.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kwesi 章英狮 Joselito recommended the book to me because I love Felis catus. Lol!

message 2: by Amber (new) - added it

Amber Tucker the review, the fact i am in university, the fact i love absconding with fun quotes from literature AND the shelving choice altogether = i must read this book. thanks.

mark monday yes, you must! both of you should read this. but don't build it up too much in your mind. despite its sarcastic tone and strong messages, in a way, it is a fragile thing. i can see folks being disappointed by it after reading so much praise.

Maciek Nice nice very nice!

Joselito Honestly and Brilliantly this is what i can't do: review a book i've read many years ago. Sometimes all i can remember is what the book looks like and if i enjoyed it or not.

Michael The only thing by KV I've read is his poem "Joe Heller". I was asking some people for a consensus on where I should start: short story collection or novel, and so far the choice seems to be with this book. The comparison to Donnie Darko though is a bit of a turn-off.

message 7: by Amber (new) - added it

Amber Tucker Joselito wrote: "this is what i can't do: review a book i've read many years ago. Sometimes all i can remember is what the book looks like and if i enjoyed it or not."
Same here! Sad but true. I need to read anything twice to really absorb it.

message 8: by Brad (new) - added it

Brad I guess I should finally get around to this.

message 9: by Aloha (new) - added it

Aloha Mark, scary that this book was part of what formed you. Maybe we should burn all copies of it?

Maciek Mark is a Bokononist now. He's indestructible. Even ICE-9 can't kill him.

message 11: by mark (last edited Mar 16, 2011 01:18PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

mark monday no way Aloha, that means you should treat it like the Bible. it is a sacred text!

Bokonism all the way!

message 12: by Aloha (new) - added it

Aloha Sounds like Botulism.

message 13: by Greg (new)

Greg "when i said things like "impaled on a giant hook" or "let me read your index and get back to you", folks had no clue about what i was talking about. i guess that's why i eventually stopped saying those phrases."

LOL I think most young people use words and phrases from their fave reads and movies. I was an avid role-player (AD&D, CoC, Traveller, GW, etc.) in my teens and twenties and I'm sure I used terms like 'saving throw', 'magic missile' or 'ablat armour' in regular conversations, although only if there were other role-players present. I remember getting a grin from my brother after he had a motorcycle accident that landed him in hospital when I commented that he had 'lost a few hitpoints'. But you soon learn that such phraseology will only increase your classification as a nerd if you use them exclusively in the company of non-role-players....

But maybe if you can get enough peeps to read Cat's Cradle, Mark, we call all start reading each other's index! ;)

message 14: by Mark (new)

Mark i love hearing myself talk, so let's go for it!

I love hearing you talk as well.....you are very entertaining !!

message 15: by Greg (new)

Greg LOL I try! :)

message 16: by mark (new) - rated it 5 stars

mark monday Greg wrote: "But maybe if you can get enough peeps to read Cat's Cradle, Mark, we call all start reading each other's index..."

if only!

hey Greg, i have very little experience with AD&D (outside of watching one game in 7th grade back in South Bend, Indiana)... but i tried to use what i remember in this here AD&D-based review... so here, just for you:

message 17: by mark (last edited Jun 07, 2012 01:05PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

mark monday i neglected to mention that even though i only witnessed one game, i was actually a happy owner of the awesome tomes Monster Manual and Dieties & Demigods. many happy hours spent roaming through those two books.

Edmund Davis-Quinn I read "Player Piano" first and didn't really start reading Vonnegut in mass until Cats Cradle. Slaughterhouse Five is the second Vonnegut I would read.

I.d.d This book is really hard to put a finger on the Cat's Cradle yet I love it and I love Kurt's quirky writing style that makes him his own subgenera

message 20: by mark (new) - rated it 5 stars

mark monday agree!

Mario Zirion I liked Newt!

message 22: by mark (new) - rated it 5 stars

mark monday Newt was another great character! so many of them in this book.