Edna Lyn's Reviews > Across the Universe

Across the Universe by Beth Revis

Feb 22, 11

bookshelves: won, 2011, science-fiction, young-adult, dystopia-utopia
Read from February 16 to 22, 2011

I've wanted to read Across the Universe since hearing about this last year. There have been plenty of good reviews for it and now having read it, I must say it's not all talk—it delivered. The beginning was good although a little tedious for me during Amy's dreams. As the story moved past that, it gradually became more suspenseful and gripping. The world she woke up to on Godspeed is both fascinating and disturbing. The way these people acted and blindly followed the ship's leader Eldest gave me the chills.

Elder and Amy are both likeable characters and their alternating narratives provided a great insight as they made their way uncovering clues. The relationship between the two was nice and it did not overwhelm the the story. I'm sure a romance will bloom in the coming books but in this installment I was glad to see that put on the back burner. To be honest, I liked them more as friends. In addition, there was a minor character I adored, Harley, an artist who's one of the handful of resident crazies living in the Hospital. He was exciting, refreshing and entirely endearing.

While this book did have compelling characters, it's much more plot-driven. There were questions and mysteries galore. The last 90 pages went by in a blur with fantastic reveals. A few things I had an inkling of—I think most people will have the same suspicions. There are hints along the way but as some readers know information can be forgotten as pages fly by. As a result, some of those extra little reveals about who people are and Godspeed's secrets surprised me greatly.

The repercussions of what occurs at the end leaves plenty for the next book to explore. There is so much more to be told, more secrets to uncover, loose ends to tie and I can't wait.

Also I want to point out what an awesome double-sided book jacket Across the Universe has. I stared at the blueprints, trying to study the different locations and imagine the characters walking through them. It's a neat little touch for those who own the hardback.

4.5 stars.

02/18/2011 page 178

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ceci (new)

Ceci you won it??? Lucky girl!! ;)

Edna Lyn Ceci wrote: "you won it??? Lucky girl!! ;)"

LOL. Yeah, I was pretty lucky. :)