Susan's Reviews > Mao's Last Dancer

Mao's Last Dancer by Li Cunxin

Feb 18, 2011

bookshelves: recommends-to-others, bios-autobiographies
Read in February, 2011

Oh I cried!! I cried so much!! I laughed and was blown away by his honesty and by the fact that he made fun of his own culture. I read the extended version and am amazed even that Cunxin cares enough about his readers to continue his story past that which he had originally intended.

On completion of this book I felt connected to Li and felt as if I could have been the reader who travelled to China and asked his Mum to cook for him. Cheeky buggar!

For someone who's first language is not English this book certainly is written well. With the ballet described in a way that it was accessible to people not familiar with the terms. And the history of China was well depicted as was that of America.

I found that though I have not known anything of Chinese history or communism it gave me a strong sense of how a whole country could be drawn into thinking the way they do. If they are refused the ability to see anything outside of their own country and all they are told about another country is lies how can a population know any different?
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mao's Last Dancer.