Melindeeloo's Reviews > Drink of Me

Drink of Me by Jacquelyn Frank

Feb 16, 2011

bookshelves: vampires
Read on February 16, 2011

Frank's world building skills star in this more fanatasy offering, she does an excellent job of developing the world of the Sánge, a telepathic/empathic race, and the tightly mentally linked Pack, a group of warriors who support their ruler Ruele. When rescuing a comrade from torture at the hands of enemies, who are emotional leeches feeding off of their victims' pain, Ruele senses a being who emanates such anguish that he is compelled to search for whoever is suffering so. The tormented waif surprises Ruele when she speaks to him the words that a woman of his kind says to her mate - 'drink of me'. Ruele is even more surprised to find once he gets her back to safety that the waif is not a child but a lush though petite woman who calls out to his every instinct as a protector and a man. And even though the Sánge are reviled by the other races, he can't help but want to claim the mysterious foreign woman who has no memories of her life before he found her.

I had a really hard time getting into this one for some reason, but once the story got rolling I really ended up liking it. We don't end up seeing a whole bunch of Ruele's subjects, but his inner circle of warriors and their tightly bound mental connection were really good, as were the details of the Sánges' culture. I am not sure if there are more books planned in this world but there should be.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Drink of Me.